Current Positions Open
Board of Directors
Summary of primary job functions
This officer is responsible for establishing and executing major goals and objectives for the organization. Implements policies established by the board of directors. Provides leadership, direction and guidance of Organization’s activities. Analyzes and evaluates the effectiveness of all organization operations. Develops and maintains organizational structure and effective personnel. Coordinates major activities through subordinates and appraises assigned personnel. Represents the Organization to regulatory bodies, other agencies, community and civic organizations, donors, funders and supporters, and the general public.
Duties and responsibilities
· Acts as the spokesperson for the organization, attending civic organization meetings and events to secure funding and raise awareness to funding needs
· Executes board-approved policies
· Directs and oversees short and long term strategic plans
· Attends Board Meetings
· Maintains a competent and effective staff
· Provides leadership to organization personnel through effective objective setting, delegation, and communication
· Conducts staff meetings to disseminate pertinent information
· Ensures that appropriate salary and wage structures are maintained
· Coordinates and directs employees
· Oversees the preparation of office procedure manuals, outlining specific duties and area responsibilities
· Ensures that job descriptions are current
· Conducts performance appraisals as required
· Formulates and implements corrective action as needed, including termination.
· Responsible for the renewal/request and timely submission of all grants.
· Seeks out new grants and opportunities for additional funding for Laurel Shelter, Inc.
· Ensures administrative staff remains current to organization business and Board directives/approvals that affect their functions and areas of responsibility
· Works with the Board of Directors on governance policy issues by providing support and by initiating approved recommendations or actions
· Ensures compliance to minimum standards in accordance with all government legislation, regulations and guidelines pertinent to the organization’s role as an employer and non-profit agency
· Recommends to the Board changes to policies and procedures that would improve the organization
· Maintains an effective and cost efficient office environment
· Develops, maintains, and up-dates job descriptions pertinent to the organization
· Submits all information, reports and records as requested or required by law to appropriate government officials or the board of directors
· Maintains full awareness of the complete financial, statistical, and accounting records of the organization
· Ensures that operating results established in the annual budget are achieved and the control of operating expenses within budget
· Ensures the accuracy, integrity, and timeliness of all financial accounting and reporting
· Signs all checks
· Ensures the preparation of the annual budget for board approval
· Oversee operations at the Thrift Store
Minimum of 5 years’ experience.
Must be proficient in grant writing.
Must pass a criminal background check.
Prefer Master’s Degree in the human service or related field or any combination of a Bachelors degree and related experience.
Please complete the application below and return to the outreach office at 6616 Main Street Gloucester, VA 23061 or by mail PO Box 23, Gloucester, VA 23061.
Please complete application and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or return it in person at the Laurel Shelter Thrift Store